1. Request his/her deposit be refunded, providing bills are paid promptly as defined in section entitled Definition of Good Credit, or discontinues service from the City.
2. Request, free of charge, historic billing and usage information.
3. If a utility department cannot find any reason for usage changes, the customer may request one (1) free meter test per year. The customer has a right to the results of this test. A fee will be charged for additional meter tests. See Fee Schedule.
4. Request a review of any complaint according to the grievance procedure.
1. To establish credit in at least one or more of the following ways:
a. Pay a cash deposit.
b. Provide a lease agreement in the customer’s name.
c. Provide proof of land ownership.
d. Provide a copy of your driver’s license or other government issued photo identification.
2. Allow utility department personnel access to your property to set up and maintain service.
3. Pay bills by the due date shown on each monthly bill.
4. Notify the utility department if there is someone in the household who is either seriously ill, handicapped or on a life support system.
a. Notification shall include verification, in writing, from a medical doctor.
b. This information will be reviewed and updated in January and June of each year.
5. Notify the Public Services Department if you have questions or complaints about service.
6. Be aware of City-owned property at your home or business and safeguard it.
7. Install, maintain and repair wiring in your home or business.
8. The City provides utility service for the sole use and convenience of the premises under contract. The customer will ensure that utility service is not given or resold to a neighbor or tenant. Violation of this policy will be cause for immediate disconnection of service.
9. It is the customer’s responsibility to get rid of cardboard boxes resulting from a move. The boxes must be flattened (broken down) and can be brought to the:
County Solid Waste Collection & Recycling Site
8392 River Rd (Hwy 133), Southport NC 28461
Tel: (910) 457-9484
Hours: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.
Please see Residential Garbage & Yard Debris for more information.