Please contact City of Southport Department of Tourism and Public Information if you would like your event posted on this page. (910)457-7927
Due to the COVID-19, I have recommended cancellation of large events in our city. It is important to do everything we can to mitigate the spread of the disease, from good hand washing to social distancing.
Joe Pat Hatem MD, MPH,
Mayor City of Southport
Closings and Cancellations:
- The NC 4th of July Festival has been canceled.
- Downtown Southport, Inc. has canceled the Southport Summer Market and the Southport Summer Concerts – Thursdays in the Park
- Southport Plein Air 2020, Downtown Southport, Southport, NC 29461 scheduled for May 15-16 has been postponed.
- Governor Cooper has closed the following businesses by Executive Order 120: Bingo Parlors, including Bingo sites operated by charitable organizations, Bowling Alleys, Indoor Exercise Facilities ( e.g. gyms, yoga studios, martial arts facilities, indoor trampoline and rock climbing facilities), Health Clubs, Indoor/ Outdoor Pools, Live Performance Venues, Movie Theaters, Skating Rinks, Spas, Gaming and business establishments which allow gaming activities ( e.g. video poker, gaming, sweepstakes, video games, arcade games, pinball machines or other computer, electronic or mechanical devices played for amusement) ALSO ordered to close: Barber Shops, Beauty Salons (including waxing and hair removal centers), Hair Salons, Nail Salons/Manicure/Pedicure Providers, Massage Parlors, Tattoo Parlors
- Per Governor Cooper, all North Carolina public schools will be closed to students.
- Brunswick County announced that some departments will require visitors to schedule an appointment to visit department offices beginning March 23.
- All City of Southport buildings will be CLOSED beginning Monday, March 23,2020 until further notice. Phone line will remain open during normal business hours.
- Bald Head Island Transportation, Inc. COVID-19 Update. The Bald Head Island Ferry has limited service. On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at approximately 4:30 p.m., the Village of Bald Head Island declared a State of Emergency that includes a Voluntary Evacuation for the Village of Bald Head Island and mandates the discontinuation of all day-visitors and short-term rentals until at least April 30, 2020. For details please visit villagebhi.org.
- Governor Roy Cooper issues executive order for North Carolina Restaurants and Bars to CLOSE for Dine-In Customers, but allow Takeout and Delivery Operations to Continue by 5 pm, Tuesday, March 17, 2020
- The N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources will suspend public operations at ALL locations, except state parks and trails, beginning March 17 until further notice. This includes the NC Maritime Museum at Southport, Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson State Historic Site, Fort Fisher State Historic Site, and the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher
- The Fort Johnston/Southport Museum and Visitors’Center is closed until further notice
- The City of Southport Gym will be closed to the public until further notice. There will be no open gym hours.
- Southport Spring Festival scheduled for 4/10-11, 2020, canceled
- NC Maritime Museum at Southport has canceled ALL programs until April 13, 2020
- Brunswick County Senior Resource Centers will close to the public on Monday, March 16, 2020
- The Harper and Barbee Libraries are CLOSED until further notice. March programs and the Friends of the Library Southport and Oak Island Used Book Sale on March 28th has been cancelled. There are no programs until further notice .
- The Klassy Divas Fighting with Style Fundraiser and Fashion show that was scheduled for March 19 is postponed until Oct 15, 2020
- Southport Presbyterian Church has canceled all worship services, meetings and activities the week of March 15, 2020
- All large gatherings and events at Generations Church have been cancelled for the month of March. This includes Sunday morning services and Celebrate Recovery on Friday nights.
- Bishop Rob Skirving has suspended all Episcopal Sunday Worship services for the remainder of the month of March. Therefore St Philip’s Episcopal Church will not hold services on the remaining Sundays in March.
- Celebration Service for Rob Gandy, Sunday, 3/22/2020 has been postponed until this fall 2020
- Social Security Administration closed ALL local Social Security offices to the public for in-person service.