The City Clerk’s office maintains and preserves the official records of the City of Southport Board of Aldermen, serves as public records coordinator and corporate secretary of the City. This department is responsible for coordinating meetings of the Board along with the City Manager, preparation of the agenda and agenda packets, codification and distribution of the City Code and ensuring City compliance with state laws related to local government meetings, and to assist Board appointed committees as requested including public notifications and accessibility, keep a list of all Board and Committee appointments i.e. terms of office, expiration dates, etc. at the end of each FY provide an appointment report to the NC Secretary of State on board appointments in accordance with NCGS 143-157.1
The mission of the Southport City Clerk’s office is to provide professional, courteous and efficient service and support to the public, Mayor, Aldermen, City Manager and department heads in all areas that have been designated by the North Carolina General Statutes or assigned and directed by the Board of Aldermen and City Manager.
- Provide the public with requested information in a timely manner.
- Take and transcribe fact-based meeting minutes accurately in order to establish the historical records and actions of the Board.
- Identify and develop processes that will increase citizen satisfaction, develop ways to expedite more efficiently requested information and data by incorporating updated technology in the Clerk’s office.
- Maintain effective working relationship with Board of Aldermen, staff, city boards/committees and other agencies.
- Safeguard all official permanent records of the Board and provide leadership and advice to all City Departments in terms of the legal requirements for retention and availability of public records.
- Pursue technology (such as a laser fiche system) to digitize all records i.e. minutes, deeds, contracts, etc.